Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Ergonomic Injuries Are No Laughing Matter

I used to be rather ignorant regarding ergonomics. I have to admit that I even chucked to myself a time or two when I heard others talking about preventing ergonomic injuries. That is, until I suffered one myself about a year ago. It was a real eye-opening experience, let me tell you. Not only was it incredibly painful, but it healed very slowly, even after implementing better ergonomic practices.

As a Virtual Assistant, chances are that you are spending hours each day working at your computer. The likelihood of suffering an ergonomic injury is great if you don't take the time to educate yourself and set up your workstation properly.

OSHA has a great eTool for computer workstations. It's certainly worth the few minutes it takes to visit their site and print off their free checklist that will help you identify ways to improve your workspace. You know the old saying, an ounce of prevention...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rosanna,
How timely this posting is for me. I am a brand new VA for a small real estate office and I'm setting up my home office now. I had lots of questions about arranging my workspace but didn't know where to go for answers. This OSHA website answered all my questions, and then some. Additionally, when my sweet hubby installer asks me why I want something located just so I can hand him OSHA specs and he's satisfied (and I'm REALLY satisfied).
Thanks for the info and keep up your good work.

Rosanna said...

Thanks for the compliment, Kathleen. I am glad that you were able to find the information that you needed through this post.