Thursday, February 09, 2006

Becoming a Virtual Assistant

I have had many VAs contact me wondering how to get into the business. Sometimes I can't even read what they are emailing me. It's like a cryptic IM session. Many people think it sounds like a "fun" way to stay home and make money. Really, they figure, how hard could it be? Well, if you are a mediocre VA, probably not very.

The truth is that running a Virtual Assistant business is a lot of hard work. Sure, it is rewarding , and most of us VAs wouldn't trade it for the world, but it's certainly not a walk down Easy Street. Virtual Assistants are professionals- in fact, they are experts at what they do. Everything that they do has to convey that professionalism, both in the work that they perform and their communications with others.

If you are looking to become a VA, please don't be insulted. I have spent countless hours coaching aspiring VAs. I'd likely give you my advice, too, if you asked for it. The first thing that you would likely hear from me is be professional. Always. When dealing with potential clients, put your best foot forward. When they see that you conduct yourself as a true professional will, it will give you more credibility.

My second piece of advice would be to get ready to work harder than you probably ever have. Sounds dramatic, I know, but have you ever had to be in charge of PR, marketing, accounting, and customer service? Some VAs are surprised at how many hours they have to work, especially in the beginning. You have to set up your website, develop marketing materials, identify potential clients, learn the ins and outs of the business... There is a lot to do. It takes resolve to see things through to the desired outcome (establishing your clientele).

If you need more advice than that, as I have said, I am happy to help when I can. If you are serious about becoming a Virtual Assistant and are willing to put your virtual feet to the pavement, there is no time like the present to start making your dreams come true. Resign yourself to the notion that you want to be a true PARTNER in the success of other professionals, not just someone "working from home". Understand that you are a professional who will make a difference in the professional community, and sell that idea to your clients!

(It also wouldn't hurt to enroll in a program like CertifiedVP. I mention that a lot on my blog, but that is because I really believe in it. :) )

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just started my VA business and I agree with you Rosanna that running a Virtual Assistant business is a lot of hard work. I'm just starting out and it is all so overwhelming but this is what I want to do.

I can understand that VAs need to be professional at all times, whether it's through email or phone contact.
I'm striving to learn what I need to know to be successful as a VA. I've read an awful lot. I've taken a lot of advice. And I know that with faith and preservance, that I will be okay.
And Rosanna, I just filled out the form to see what kind of training I need for the Certified VP program.